According to MacKeeper’s security experts and recent research on Mac OS malware industry, the ever-increasing popularity of Mac OS makes it extremely attractive target for cybercriminals to spend their resources on devising malware for this platform.
The big question to ask is how to hedge your Mac against ever-increasing attacks? In our today’s post we will show you the fastest and easiest way to detect spyware on your computer and to make your web browsing safe.
There is a difference between malware and spyware. Malware, short for malicious software, is any software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems. Spyware suggests software that monitors a user’s computing. It can collect almost any type of data, including personal information like Internet surfing habits, user logins, and bank or credit account information.
- Download and open files only from trustworthy sites.
- Check Safari security options. Safari contains a feature, enabled by default, which causes all files considered “safe” to be automatically opened once they have finished downloading. Disable any option to “Open safe files after downloading” in your Web browser.
- Install and use anti-virus software. Despite being called “anti-virus” this type of software is far more sophisticated today and is developed to recognise different kind of malware apart from viruses. Such programs as MacKeeper can not only protect your Mac against spyware but also from different online and offline threats, offering simple solution for safe browsing, protection from phishing scams, malware and identity theft.
- Some applications may collect and disseminate your personal information without your knowledge. If you value your privacy, review the license agreement before installing or using any ad-supported application for information concerning how it protects your privacy. You may want to contact the application’s developer to determine if an ad-supported application employs spyware.
- Do not neglect Mac OS X network security features. Use Private Browsing windows, so that Safari couldn’t save your browsing history and ask websites you visit not to track you.
Mac OS indeed has an excellent security reputation. But the fact that the security updates are regularly released for Mac OS makes it quite vulnerable and nudges Mac users to obtain additional antivirus software